call: Lanzarote International Video Art Week
Deadline: 22 April 2017
Call for entries
Lanzarote International Video Art Week
1st, 2nd and 3rd June 2017_ CIC El Almacén *
Arrecife, Lanzarote, Spain.
CONDITIONS OF THE CANARIAN AND INTERNATIONAL SELECTION
A.- Objective of the selection
The Lanzarote International Video Art Week is an initiative of the Cultural Area of the Cabildo of Lanzarote, coordinated and curated by Adonay Bermúdez, internationally connecting the creative work of visual artists from different places in the world. This event has the clear objective to promote, support and bring video-art to everyone, especially when it comes to the most alternative and committed approaches.
The event will take place on 1st, 2nd and 3rd June 2017 at the Cultural Innovation Centre “El Almacén”, under the Cultural Area of the Cabildo of Lanzarote, as it is the most ideal place to exchange the different experiences of artists and curators from all over the world. At the event, there will be screenings, video-installations and artistic events related to video creation.
In order to welcome high quality proposals and give all artists the chance to start off with the same conditions and opportunities, two selections have been suggested. On the one hand, a Canarian video art selection, and on the other hand, an international video art selection (also for all other national artists who are not from the Canary Islands).
B.- Modalities of the Selection
1.- Canarian Video Art Selection “PEAC Selection” (Foreign Promotion of Canarian Artists). The aim of the PEAC selection is to promote Canarian artists outside the islands in order to counteract insularity at a promotional and artistic level. Among the received proposals, up to seven videos can be selected for the video art cycle to be shown as part of the Lanzarote Video Art Week. Addaya Centre d’Art Contemporani in Mallorca, will offer a residence grant for 2018 to one of the selected artists of their choice, under conditions agreed upon between the artist and the gallery (those involved in the organisation of the Lanzarote International Video Creation Week will not be part of the negotiations). The winning Canarian artist will get a € 500 prize (taxable) and a return plane ticket to travel to Mallorca.
2.-International Video Art Selection “International Selection”. Within this modality, up to seven international videos can be selected (including artists from mainland Spain). Among all the selected videos, a jury will choose one to give a € 500 prize to (taxable).
3.- The videos selected (one from the Canary Islands and an International one) must donate a copy of their work in order for it to become part of the archives at the Cultural Area of the Cabildo of Lanzarote.
4.- The selection committee will include the director of the Lanzarote Video Art Week, as well as technicians from the Cultural Area of the Cabildo of Lanzarote.
• Any artist can take part, regardless of age and nationality.
• Videos must last up to 5 minutes.
• No videos should be subject to reproductions rights.
• Artist may only submit one project. Artists who submit several projects will not be accepted.
• Videos must have been filmed between 2014 and 2017.
• Participants who submit videos filmed in original version, other than Spanish, must send Spanish subtitles.
• A free topic can be used.
D.- General conditions for both selections:
Artists must submit a dossier in pdf format including the following details:
• Personal details (including DNI, NIE or passport and place of residence).
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) on one page.
• Statement (up to 10 lines).
• Link in youtube or vimeo to watch the video (with entry passwords). Once artists have been informed that their video has been selected, they must send it in MOV or MPG4 format.
• Specifications of the video and a summary using up to 100 words.
• Contact details (phone, e-mail, postal address…)
E.- The Lanzarote International Video Art Week commits to:
• Showing videos in the best conditions, as well as clarifying its authorship.
• Not charging an entry fee to watch the screening.
• Including the artists’ name in all printed and digital material.
• Taking care of the design, printing, press management and coordination of projections and invitations.
F.- Deadlines and address to send the video creations to
1.- Management may contact participants to request further information if necessary.
2.- Projects must be submitted digitally to the following e-mail address: email@example.com, indicating the name of the artist in the subject.
3.- The deadline to submit applications ends on 22nd April 2017.
4.- The results will be made public by 2nd May via e-mail, social networks and a press statement sent to the media.
5.- Should you require further information regarding this selection, please send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
6.- Participants must confirm the originality and authorship of the projects submitted. In taking part, participants are accepting the conditions of the selection.
Arrecife, Lanzarote, 29th March 2017