call: IEM Music Residency Program 2015
Call for entries
Deadline: 1 December 2014
IEM Music Residency Program 2015 – Call for Applications
The Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics (IEM) in Graz, Austria is happy to announce its new Music Residency program and invites applications from composers/sound artists for the 2015 edition.
The Residency is aimed at individuals wishing to pursue projects in performance, composition, installation and sound art, development of tools for art production and related areas.
Duration of residency: 5 months
Start date: March 1st 2015 (negotiable)
Monthly salary: Approx. EUR 1100 (net)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 1st of December 2014 23:59 CEST
The Institute of Electronic Music and Acoustics is a department of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz and was founded in 1965. An internationally well renowned institution in its field, it currently holds a staff of more than 25 members. IEM offers education to students in composition and computer music, sound engineering, contemporary music performance and musicology. It is well connected to the University of Technology as well as to the University of Graz through two joint study programs.
The artwork produced at IEM is released through the Institute’s own OpenCUBE and Signale concert series, as well as through various collaborations with international artists and institutions.
IEM’s main activities are centered around the three main research areas
Signal Processing and Acoustics
and contributions to these, or any other related field of relevance, are invited for the Music Residency program.
What we expect from applicants:
– An outstanding project proposal that adds new perspectives to the Institute’s activities and resonates well with the interests of IEM.
– The successful applicant will work on-site in Graz for the major part of the Residency.
– Willingness to exchange and share ideas, knowledge and results with IEM staff members and students and engage in scholarly discussion.
– The ability to work independently within the Institute.
– A dissemination strategy as part of the project proposal that ensures the publication of the work, or documentation thereof, in a suitable format. This could be achieved for example through the release of media, journal or conference publication, a project website or other means that help to preserve the knowledge gained through the Music Residency and make it available to the public.
What we offer to the successful applicant:
– Support in artistic production and arts-based research
– Exchange with competent and experienced staff members
– shared office space for the entire period and access to studios including the CUBE which has a 24-channel loudspeaker system;
– Contact with peers from similar or other disciplines
– Infrastructure (electro-acoustic music studios, icosahedral loudspeaker array, motion capture technology)
– Concert and presentation facilities (CUBE 24 channel loudspeaker concert space)
– Existing networks with local/international partners
– We provide a monthly salary of approx. EUR 1100 net per month in addition to health and accident insurance.
An application form providing more information is available at
Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions.