call: xCoAx 2017
Deadline: 29 january 2017
Call for entries
xCoAx 2017: 5th International Conference on Computation, Communication, Aesthetics and X (July 2017, Lisbon)
Dates: 6-7 July 2017
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
xCoAx is an exploration of the intersection where computational tools and media meet art and culture, in the form of a multi-disciplinary enquiry on aesthetics, computation, communication and the elusive X factor that connects them all.
Since 2013, xCoAx has been an occasion for international audiences to meet and exchange ideas, in search of interdisciplinary synergies among computer scientists, artists, media practitioners and theoreticians at the threshold of digital arts and culture.
The focus is on the unpredictable overlaps between the chaos and freedom of creativity and the rules and determinism of algorithms, between human nature and machine technology, with the aim to evolve towards new directions in aesthetics.
In 2017 xCoAx will take place for the first time in Lisbon, in and around the Faculty of Fine Arts, right in the heart of the city center in Chiado.
You are invited to submit theoretical, practical or experimental research work that includes but is not limited to the following topics:
* Algorithms / Systems / Models
* Artificial Aesthetics
* Audiovisuals / Multimodality
* Generative Art / Design
* Mechatronics / Physical Computing
* Music / Sound Art
* Philosophy of Art / of Computation
* Technology / Ethics / Epistemology
Submission deadline: 29 January 2017
Notifications: 13 March
Registration deadline for first authors: 17 April
Delivery of final versions for publication: 17 April
Doctoral symposium: 5 July
Exhibition opening: 5 July
Conference: 6-7 July
Paper: 5 to 10 page conference paper, following the formatting in the Word template. Revision of papers will be double-blind. Please make sure that the PDF file is completely anonymized (i.e. omits author-related information in body of text or as explicit self-citations, notes and bibliography). Accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings and allotted 15 minutes presentation time at the conference.
Artwork / Performance: 3-4 page description paper, following the formatting in the Word template. Revision of proposals will be single-blind. Proposals should provide a clear description of the work, one or more URLs for access to relevant media assets, and a technical rider (layout, setup, required equipment). Accepted works will be allotted 7 minutes presentation time at the conference. The proceedings will publish an extended abstract to be provided by the authors after the conference.
Doctoral symposium: 2 page research paper, following the formatting in the Word template. Revision of proposals will be single-blind. The proceedings will publish a revised research paper to be provided by the authors after the symposium.
The symposium will provide students the opportunity to present their doctoral research and receive feedback on their work-in progress from established researchers and from other participants. The symposium aims to foster the discussion of research topics and approaches, and to promote interaction between the research community.
To apply as a student participating in the Doctoral Symposium you should provide a single document including a research paper and letter of support by your advisor.
The research paper should include: 1) Purpose of the research and its importance to the field; 2) Brief survey of background and related work; 3) Description of the proposed approach; 4) Expected contributions; 5) Progress towards goals.
The letter of support should provide an assessment of the current status of the research and mention areas that could benefit from feedback from other experienced researchers.
Additional information and submission details
* All works must be submitted via EasyChair — https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=xcoax2015
* Submissions must be original and will be rigorously reviewed by an international and multidisciplinary scientific committee, in a process that will assess originality, relevance, artistic and technical achievements;
* Submissions should be presented as .pdf files with all the media files embedded or linked to online resources;
* Final versions for publication should be delivered in .docx with all the images and other media files attached as independent file;
* All images and media assets must be cleared for publication by the authors;
* At least one of the authors of each selected contribution must register to the conference before the first author registration deadline in order for the work to be published in the proceedings;
* xCoAx’s working language is English;
* xCoAx’s conference proceedings (with ISBN) will be published online;
* A selection of works will be published in a forthcoming special issue of CITAR’s Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts;
* Please contact the program chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding submissions.
Wednesday 5, afternoon: Doctoral symposium.
Wednesday 5, evening: Opening of the exhibition, reception cocktail.
Thursday 6: Conference, keynote, performances. Presentations will be organized in panels chaired by a moderator that will lead a final discussion with authors and audience. A guest keynote will close the day.
Thursday 6, evening: Performances.
Friday 7: Conference, keynote, artworks and performances session. The morning will be dedicated to further paper panels, while in the afternoon, the artworks and performances presentations will take place, networking authors and audience. A second keynote address will close the day.
Friday 7, evening: Conference dinner.
Friday 7, night: Closing party.
Author registration: € 165 — before April 18th. One author per paper. Includes entry to conference and performances, does not include conference dinner.
Reduced registration: € 55 — Non-presenting co-authors, authors without academic affiliation, general public. Includes entry to conference and performances, does not include conference dinner.
Doctoral symposium: € 75 — Includes entry to conference and performances, does not include conference dinner.
Conference dinner: € 25 — Not included in the registration, also open to non-registered accompanying persons.