call: Video Works for 13 Fruitcake
Deadline: 20 April 2019
Call for entries
Video Works for 13 Fruitcakes (NYC, La MaMa, Stonewall 50)
PERFORMANCE DATES: June 13-16, 2019
VENUE: La MaMa Theatre, New York City
ABOUT ‘13 FRUITCAKES: MUSICAL VIGNETTES’
’13 Fruitcakes: Musical Vignettes’ premieres June 2019 at La MaMa Theatre, where more than 5,000 theatrical productions and 150,000 artists from around the world have been supported since its opening in 1961. This production celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riot where, for the first time in U.S. history, the American LGBTQ community raised a united voice to defend their basic human rights. The show is also dedicated to those who were able to influence humanity through their great achievements in the arts, politics, philosophy, and science, despite the persecution that they had to endure as homosexuals.
Poems by queer poets such as Oscar Wilde, Virginia Woolf, and Arthur Rimbaud are set as art songs by Gihieh Lee, a celebrated Korean composer. Korean-American director Byungkoo Ahn transforms the song cycle into a series of musical vignettes about 13 LGBTQ figures who changed the world through their work. Although the characters and the poets lived in different time periods and cultures, many of them had to disguise their true identities in order to survive society’s discrimination. However, despite the judgement of society, they were able to express their true selves through their works of art and literature. Their bravery paved the way for their descendants who came out to the streets of Greenwich Village in 1969 during the Stonewall Riot. ’13 Fruitcakes: Musical Vignettes’ captures and revitalizes those moments of truth in the queer foreparents’ lives through the power of art songs and queer literature of the 19th and 20th centuries.
WE ARE INVITING YOU TO SUBMIT VIDEO WORKS THAT CAN CREATIVELY ADDRESS THE LIFE OF THE FOLLOWING LGBTQ FIGURES.
Harmodius and Aristogeiton
Dong Xian (董賢)
King Hyegong (혜공왕)
Leonardo da Vinci
Hans Christian Andersen
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Frida Kahlo and Josephine Baker
IMPORTANT CRITERIA ABOUT THE VIDEO SUBMISSION (MUST READ)
1. A video should be about one particular individual from the list of historic figures (with the exception of Harmodius and Aristogeiton, and Frida Kahlo and Josephine Baker; they should be addressed together).
2. Each video should visually interpret provided quotation about the individual from the attached PDF of this link (13 Fruitcakes – Reference.pdf) that discusses a certain aspect of the person’s life. Additional research about the individual is welcome.
3. No music * / No watermark **
4. Each video should be about 2 MINUTES in length.
5. You may submit up to two different videos.
6. As for the final selection, only one video will be chosen for each historic figure.
5. Contact adresses/URL: Submission – https://tinyurl.com/13FruitcakesOpenCall