call: Kunstraum NY – Curator-in-Residence 2021-2022
Deadline: 14 March 2021
Call for entries
Open Call for Curator-in-Residence 2021-2022
Application deadline: March 14, 2021 | Notifications: March 28, 2021
KUNSTRAUM is calling for submissions for our 2021-22 Curator-in-Residence (CIR) Program.
Kunstraum is a community for artists by artists, aiming to redefine the way artists and curators collaborate. Our programming seeks to explore the relationships between artists and curators by opening up our gallery space to those interested in exploring unconventional and engaging ideas and taking risks. To learn more about Kunstraum, please visit our website and Instagram.
The Curator-in-Residence is responsible for directing the gallery program at Kunstraum for a period of 12 months. During the residency, they present their vision through two curated exhibitions – an independent exhibition of their choice and Kunstraum’s annual member show – as well as by supporting two guest curator’s projects. The CIR residency will start in April 2021.
The Curator-in-Residence program is designed to spotlight the CIR’s curatorial practice within the New York art world by facilitating exhibitions and events to engage our community and network. Simultaneously, Kunstraum’s programming also encourages invited curators, artists, and other guests to collaborate, think critically, and seek new challenges in their practices.
Responsibilities of the CIR:
● Curate one independent exhibition and Kunstraum’s annual member show;
● Oversee the planning of 2 additional exhibitions by guest curators;
● Organize one event per exhibition, e.g. walkthrough, video interview, discussion;
● Coordinate with Kunstraum’s team and guest curators and provide critical input to the exhibition projects as well as collect key information and media materials;
● Attend openings and assist with set up/takedown, greet visitors, communicate about the artworks and offer them for sale;
● With the support of Kunstraum’s team, coordinate the press, promotion, and social media work, installation/de-installation, networking, member onboarding, community events, artwork sales;
● Direct Zoom-in Kunstraum’s Studios, a bi-monthly 1-hour gathering of our community;
● Participate in studio visits and in the jury process for Kunstraum’s Programs;
● 10 hrs of commitment per week, 24/7 access to the space;
● Monthly stipend of $600;
● Commissions on art sales and artist memberships;
● Responsible for your own housing, commute, and travel expenses;
● Must have work authorization in the United States.
Kunstraum LLC’s Curator-in-Residence Program seeks a self-starter with an innovative and ambitious mind that thrives from creative freedom, a leadership role, and is interested in working within an established artist-run gallery. It is the CIR’s mission to bring a new and unique curatorial vision to the program. Kunstraum offers team support and encourages the CIR to apply for exhibition funding for their show through Kunstraum’s network of foundations and organizations as well as benefit from pre-existing relationships to press, foundations, art fairs, curators, and collectors, among others.
● Experience in curating, organizing, and installing visual art exhibitions and events;
● Knowledge of art history and contemporary art issues, exhibitions, and artists;
● Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
● Ability to comply with deadlines, budgets, and timely communication;
● Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and overall precision;
● Self-driven, highly organized, smart time and resource management;
● Contact information (first and last name, email, address, telephone);
● Work samples (website or portfolio of 10-20 pages);
● Professional resume or CV;
● Curatorial Statement (~200 words):
Tell us about you. What issues are you seeking to address through your work? What is your vision for 12 months as the CIR? How do you plan to engage the Kunstraum’s community and other audiences?
● Exhibition Proposal(250-500):
Describe one specific project with 3-6 artists that is ready to be shown and/or you plan on developing further with these artists. Be specific about the stage of the project. Include images, links, web sites.
● Writing sample, one published article or another writing sample (250-500 words);
● Name, email, and telephone number of two professional references
Please submit all materials through the Google Form here. A selection of candidates will be contacted for interviews.
KUNSTRAUM is born out of a necessity to create community and foster collaboration between artists, architects, curators, designers, filmmakers, and writers. The KUNSTRAUM model features excellent studio locations, networking, research opportunities, and discourse for creative production. After successfully inaugurating our first space in New York as of February 2015, we are expanding to Berlin. KUNSTRAUM’s global identity is designed to offer and promote an international community, mobility, and visibility in the visual arts. Recent press coverage includes Communication Arts, Creator’s Project, Huffington Post, Artnet News, Interview Magazine, Art F City, Artnet News, and Musée Magazine. With “Video Shop,” a project at NADA New York, Kunstraum won the 2016 Artfair Goers Award and best booth.
For more information on Kunstraum’s activities and programs, please visit our FAQ page. For all other questions, please reach out to Sarah, firstname.lastname@example.org.