call: Kunstraum NY – Artist-in-Residence 2021-2022
Deadline: 31 March 2021
Call for entries
OPEN CALL FOR ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE 2021-2022
Application deadline: March 31, 2021 | Notifications: April 30, 2021
KUNSTRAUM is calling for submissions for our 2021-2022 Artist-in-Residence Program.
Kunstraum is a community for artists by artists, aiming to redefine the way artists and curators collaborate. Our program seeks to explore the relationships between artists and curators by opening up our gallery space to those interested in exploring unconventional and engaging ideas and taking risks.
Our Artist-in-Residency program offers 3-month long artist residencies for national and international artists in a quarterly cycle. For 2021, we have two open spots, one from April-June and the other from July-September. In 2022, these 3-month periods are from January-March, April-June, July-September, and October-December with multiple spots available for each term.
All resident artists are invited to pursue their independent projects, interact with the steady community of artists, designers and filmmakers as well as mingle with incoming artists and curators of our ongoing exhibition program, participate in the Studio Visits and Annual Members Show. To learn more about Kunstraum, please visit our website and Instagram.
Each residency includes:
● A studio space inside our subdivided lofts with 24/7 access (workspace only no living);
● Access to our gallery space (4-5 exhibitions a year) and participation in our Annual Members Show, including professional documentation;
● Sales opportunities via an online gallery for the duration of 6 months with your participation in our members show;
● A great artist community to meet and interact with;
● Monthly studio visits by 1-2 New York curators, gallerists, critics, art advisers (full list on the “About” page of our website);
● Bimonthly Zoom-in Studio Visits with our Curator-in-Residence and artist community;
● Social media promotion and a feature of your work on our website;
● Access to our internal monthly newsletter, which includes news, events, an open call list with exhibition, grant and residency opportunities;
● Community events in which all resident artists are invited to attend:
-These vary and include gallery openings, curator walkthrough, discussions, salons and open studios;
-These events are a great way to meet our steady community of artists, designers and filmmakers as well as mingle with incoming artists and curators of our ongoing exhibition program.
The studio spaces have 24/7 access with 13ft ceilings, a freight elevator, slop sink, secure Wifi, and are used for non-toxic materials only–all painters work on non-toxic basis. Blick Art Supply, hardware stores, post office, print shops, supermarkets, restaurants, and delis are just 1.5 blocks away, and Home Depot is as close as 10 blocks.
No living is included. The resident artist is responsible to find their own living arrangements. Referrals to short-term listings can be provided.
The residency fee is $600 per month for a 3-month term and following starting dates 4/1/2021; 7/1/2021; 1/1/2022; 4/1/2022; 7/1/2022; 10/1/2022
Please submit all materials through the Google Form here. A selection of candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Please Include the following:
● Statement of Motivation with starting date/s – 250 word;
● Statement on private or public funding plan – 100 word;
● Portfolio with max. 10 pages with 10-20 images;
● Optional: 2 links to 1-2 mins video excerpts (specify cue in and out);
● CV with max, 10 pages;
● Links to website, Instagram, recent exhibition or press;
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
KUNSTRAUM is born out of a necessity to create community and foster collaboration between artists, architects, curators, designers, filmmakers, and writers. The KUNSTRAUM model features excellent studio locations, networking, research opportunities, and discourse for creative production. After successfully inaugurating our first space in New York as of February 2015, we seek to expand to Berlin. Kunstraum’s global identity is designed to offer and promote an international community, mobility, and visibility in the visual arts. Recent press coverage includes Communication Arts, Creator’s Project, Huffington Post, Artnet News, Interview Magazine, Art F City, Artnet News, and Musée Magazine. With “Video Shop,” a project at NADA New York, Kunstraum won the 2016 Artfair Goers Award and best booth.
For more information on Kunstraum’s Artist-in-Residence program, please visit our FAQ page. For all other questions, please reach out to Sarah, firstname.lastname@example.org.