call: Emerging Curator Program 2015
Call for entries
Deadline: 3 December 2014
VisArts Emerging Curator Program 2015
VisArts invites applications from emerging curators to work with an experienced mentoring curator to develop and present an exhibition.
The VisArts Emerging Curator Program offers a unique opportunity for an emerging curator to work with an experienced mentoring curator to develop and present an exhibition and to assist in the presentation of the mentor’s exhibition. In an effort to develop expanded education programming/enhanced visitor experiences, the 2015 Emerging Curator and the Mentoring Curator will also focus on developing tools, templates, technological enhancements and funding strategies to support public programming that promotes social interaction, creative exchange and audience engagement.
VisArts will provide the Emerging Curator with an exhibition budget of $10,000. Additional funding and staff support for printing, promotions, and execution of exhibition programming is available. The program is one year and will begin in January 2015.
The selection panel includes the VisArts’ Curator, Artist Advisory Council, Gallery Committee and 2015 Mentoring Curator.
During the yearlong program, the Curatorial team (Mentor Curator and Emerging Curator) will focus on:
· Developing a cohesive and compelling exhibition proposal;
· Researching skills and standards of “best” and “current” curatorial practice;
· Communicating with artists and lending institutions – developing contracts and loan information, collecting images and organizing artist/image information with “best practice” standards;
· Conducting curatorial research and developing writing skills for catalogs and other printed and online materials using language that is clear and comprehensible for art experts and the general public;
· Designing and implementing educational exhibition programming and outreach activities that engage artists, curators and public audience of all ages;
· Researching and developing a plan for incorporating technology upgrades to gallery programming through website enhancements, use of I Pads and apps, and production of video and audio materials;
· Developing budgets for executing exhibitions and exhibition programming;
· Developing sponsorship/fundraising initiatives to support the exhibition programming;
· Overseeing exhibition design and installation; and,
· Developing marketing and public relations materials – press releases, website presence, social networking and print media supporting the exhibition.
The VisArts Emerging Curator Program provides emerging curators with practical, hands-on experience at a community arts organization. It is designed to support diverse exhibitions presenting a broad spectrum of ideas and curatorial approaches. In addition, it enhances the VisArts exhibition experience by developing educational opportunities, public programming and opportunities for community engagement through expanded use of interactive interpretive media in its gallery program.
Applicants do not need to have a fully realized curatorial proposal. This will be developed with the support and guidance of the mentoring curator and the VisArts Gallery Department.
To apply online: Click here (http://visarts.submittable.com/submit/35864)
Apply by mail: All required application materials must be RECEIVED in our Administrative Offices (3rd floor) Download Application Forms.
Send or deliver all required application materials to:
VisArts at Rockville
155 Gibbs Street, Suite 300
Rockville, MD 20850
Applicants must supply the following:
1. Application form
3. Evidence of past curatorial projects:
· Up to 10 still images
· Up to 5 minutes of Audio Tracks (We accept: URL addresses, Soundclouds, or Playable DVDs posted to VisArts.)
· List of images with artist name, title, year, medium, and descriptive information
· Supporting PDF documents
4. A statement that addresses the following:
· What makes presenting an exhibition in a non-profit community arts center with the guidance of a mentor an ideal opportunity?
· What do you consider your curatorial intentions?
· How do you envision enriching the audience experience? How would you engage the community? What sorts of programming and content delivery would you like to see paired with exhibitions?
· What do you hope to achieve with this exhibition and mentoring program? Why would this program be an excellent fit for you?
Application deadline: December 3, 2014
Finalists Notified: December 8, 2014
Finalist Interviews: December 12, 13, 2014
Emerging Curator Notified: December 19, 2014
Length of Program: January – December 2015 (Schedule TBD)
Emerging Curator Exhibition: June 12 – July 12, 2015
Mentoring Curator Exhibition: Sept. 2 – October 18, 2015
Full call end online form