call: 2021 Punto y Raya Festival
Deadline: 2 August 2021
Call for entries
2021 Punto y Raya Festival
The world event for Abstract Film launches its 9th Call for Short Films
This call for entries is open to short films made ENTIRELY with ABSTRACT (non-representational) IMAGERY. Only Dots & Lines as ends in themselves!
We invite authors to focus on the expressiveness of Audiovisual Art in its purest state: Form, Colour, Motion, Sound.
Event to take place in Vienna is postponed to November 2021!
Participation is FREE and the submissions are made through our website. You just need to REGISTER and you will find the FORMS to submit FILMS and create ARTIST PROFILES in your User Account.
· The films must be made ENTIRELY with ABSTRACT IMAGERY, avoiding representation.
· You can use any technique you want: drawing, video composition, cgi, scratch, op·art, stop·motion, camera·less…
· The Soundtrack cannot feature any words, in any language. If you’re using a song, this must be instrumental or feature non·narrative voices [that is, no lyrics!].
· Maximum running time is 8 minutes.
· Opening and/or Closing Credits are welcome.
· Films must have been produced after 2017 (inclusive).
· We kindly request authors to enter their film/s in FULL HD / 1080p (1920 x 1080 / progressive scan). If you have a DCP version, please specify so in the entry form and we will request a copy if the film is selected.
· Our preferred formats are .MOV | .MP4. Please, use none or high quality compression whenever possible.
All people in the world are eligible to participate in this festival, whatever their age and formation. There is no entry fee.
· APPRAISEMENT CRITERIA
· The intrinsic relationship between the Visual and the Sound tracks, and the quality and depth of the exploration of such relationship (40%).
· The pictorial expressivity of the visuals, in its use of colour/B&W, form and movement (20%).
· The work and exploration in the soundtrack composition (20%).
· The concept’s originality; how far and deep does the author take it, independently of whether s/he is exploring pure conceptual form, aesthetical expression and/or narrative (20%).
· Each author can submit as many works as s/he pleases, but only up to three works per author may be selected for the Competition.
· Submitting your work does not guarantee exhibition at Punto y Raya Festival nor its inclusion in the PyR TV Platform. The programming of the Competition will be determined by the festival selection committee, and all applicants will be notified of their final decision by email. Please note that only selected works will be featured on our website and/or PyR TV Catalogue.
· Stills of the selected works and the texts entered during the submission process will be published in our information sheets, website and PyRTV online Catalogue. Accordingly, entrants are respectfully requested to prepare graphics and texts meticulously, and to submit the stills and avatars in high resolution.
· Seeking to build the most comprehensive Resource Centre in the genre, MAD reserves the right to publish submitted information and images of some of the non-selected works as part of the PYRTV Catalogue.
· The organisation will also devise teasers for TV and internet broadcasting, featuring excerpts from the selected films. These trailers are strictly to promote the event.
· Our international jury will award three Prizes, and might also give one Honourable Mention at their own discretion. Their verdict is final.
· There will also be an Audience Award.
· This year’s prizes and awards will be posted on our website as soon as we reach an agreement with the sponsors and collaborators.
By participating in this call, the author conveys the non-exclusive rights to screen his/her material at the Festival.
The organisers of Punto y Raya Festival desire to make the results of the competition accessible to as large an audience as possible. To achieve this we are consolidating an international exhibition platform, encompassing over 50 cities.
A compilation featuring the finalist and awarded films under the title “The Best of PyR 2020” will be screened at some of these venues. The creators will be contacted in due time to discuss the details.
ACCEPTANCE OF THE RULES
Submitting your film/s to this call entails the acceptance of these terms and conditions, as well as the interpretation and decisions of the festival selection committee and jury. Any issues unforeseen in these rules will be sorted out by the festival organisers.
By taking part in our call, participants confirm being the owners of any license, copyrights and image/sound rights. MAD and all other institutions involved decline all legal responsibility for the films and their content.