call: HMK _ Residency
Call for Entries
Deadline: 1 June 2015
Open Call For Proposals
Once or twice a year HMK sends out an open call for artists, writers, curators and researchers (individuals or groups) to hand in a proposal for a residency period. A residency typically lasts for one or two months. During a stay in our guesthouse, residents are invited to develop, execute and present new work in the chapel/exhibition space, or research and develop a specific project culminating in an event, exhibition, presentation or publication. The Netherlands is a small country that is easy to navigate by train, and we stimulate artists to also use the residency as an opportunity to explore other places, museums and project spaces.
Who may apply?
Artists, writers, curators and researchers (individuals or groups)
About our residency
During a stay at our guesthouse the artist/group of artists is invited to develop, execute and present a new project. Residencies vary in length and depend on the nature of the work; usually between one and two mon ths. The exhibition with the residents´ work is open to the public, and lasts around one month.
All residents are offered
Full and free use of all accommodation and living / working facilities (a.o. wireless internet, shared kitchen, washing machine / dryer, basic tools, some audio & video equipment ).
The guesthouse is a short walk from the chapel. It has two bedrooms (one large and one small), a large living space, bathroom, and kitchen.
The studio/exhibition space is approx. 9 by 18 m, by 8m high, with 5 large church windows. Window blinds and scaffolding are available. The large inner garden can be used as well. Please be advised that the walls of the chapel are uneven and moist and therefore not very suitable to hang drawings.
Please note: HMK aims to secure funding in collaboration with the artist to provide a travel/living/production budget. Amounts depend on individual projects, and HMK strongly advises artists to secure additional funding elsewhere. HMK always offers full and free use of the guesthouse and its facilities. Furthermore, HMK is responsible for all mail-outs and promotional activity in relation to the shows, which include regional, national and international contacts.
HMK is looking for
HMK is looking for innovative projects that make full use of the unique opportunities offered. Projects may be presented outside the Maria Chapel, or can take on other forms than an exhibition. HMK is keen on artistic projects that do not only focus on art itself but which, in content or practice, are able to expand the artistic field and make connections outside an art-context. HMK focuses and facilitates collaborations; preferably you work with artists or others with whom you haven’t (extensively) worked with before. If your proposal does not include such collaboration, HMK can propose one from the other applicants. The beautiful chapel/exhibition sp ace lends itself well for ambitious projects, and we prefer to facilitate projects that for one reason or other cannot (easily) be realized somewhere else.
Things to consider when applying
– We strongly advise you to read into the wider context of Hoorn and HMK prior to submitting a proposal.
– Proposals must focus mainly on content of the work and the process of working resulting in a presentation in our chapel/exhibition space, please do not propose to exhibit pre-existing work.
– HMK does not usually host residents working with theatre or dance as their main medium.
– Realize that the end of your residency has a public component; e.g. an exhibition in the chapel or other presentation. Include this clearly in your plan.
– Consider the size of the exhibition space! It is very big as well as high. We are looking for projects/artists that use the space well.
– Projects must have a strong international component (i.e. cooperation with artis ts from different countries). We consider it to be an advantage when a group has one Dutch component, but this is not obligated.
– Do not take this too literally, feel free to propose the unexpected, and be bold!
In order to apply, HMK requests a small application fee of €15,-. The application fee should be transferred to our PayPal account with email address email@example.com. Fees paid are non-refundable. Without received payment your application will not be considered.
A small selection committee chaired by the artistic director selects artists in 2 rounds; after sending in a first, short project proposal, you may be asked to submit more information.
How to apply?
1) Read our info and application guidelines (above)
2) Fill in our application form. (see www.hotelmariakapel.nl)
3) Tran sfer the application fee to our PayPal account with email address firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Send in your application in a SINGLE pdf file to: email@example.com
Hotel Maria Kapel
Korte Achterstraat 2a
Hoorn, 1621 GA