call: 2018 Women Make Waves Int’l Film Festival
Deadline: 30 March 2018
Call for entries
2018 Women Make Waves Int’l Film Festival
About Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan
Established as a non-profit organization in 1993, Women Make Waves Int’l Film Festival has been one of the major film festivals in Taiwan and has established itself as the biggest one dedicated to supporting female talents. Women Make Waves Int’l Film Festival aims to celebrate the achievements of outstanding female talents, to explore different aspects of women’s lives as well as to promote equality and rights of all genders. By covering a wide range of genres, issues, and representations of women, WMWFF seeks to promote great cinematic arts by female directors and to advocate gender equality through films with feminist consciousness and various subjects.
Festival Time & Location
The 25th Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan, presented by the Taiwan Women’s Film Association, will be held in Taipei in early October, 2018 at SPOT-Huashan Cinema.
General Entry Requirement
January 15, 2018
Deadline for Entry:
March 30, 2018 for all international film submissions completed after March 15, 2016
No Entry fees required
We consider creative films of any length, and OPEN to all kinds of subjects.
Anything related to LGBTQI communities, women issues and ideologies such as feminism and post-feminism, and current events around the world that reflects the status quo of women. We also encourage SEXY, cutting-edge, thought-provoking and daring films that are innovative in cinematic styles and forms, that explore the aesthetic possibilities of the cinematic forms, and that continue challenging our knowledge and thoughts on various aspects from and about the perspective of women.
Submission is OPEN to feature films, short films, documentaries, animations, experimental films and etc.
Films addressed to the following issues are preferred and highly welcomed.
1. Queer aesthetics
We eager for the best and most diverse work by, about and of interest to the LGBTQ community, as to secure a platform for LGBTQ films made by women directors.
2. New currents
Featuring works of new female directors, especially the first or the second feature by the future-leading directors.
3. Gender and labor rights
Issue-oriented films that have strong focus on gender equality and labor rights, gender discrimination in working environment, and etc, and reflects the current concerns for society nowadays.
The films submitted need to be directed at least by One FEMALE Director.
The films submitted must be Taiwan Premiere.
The films submitted must have been completed after March 15, 2016.
Entrants must submit completed work. Works-in-progress are not accepted.
For submission, the submitted films should be presented with English dialogue or in their original versions with English subtitles. We advise you to also subtitle films if they are spoken in English which is hard to grasp for non-native speakers, i.e. an accent or slang.
Films that have been submitted for consideration in previous years are not eligible.
How to Submit Your Film
Please fill in our entry form here via official website.
Or, the entrants can also click to submit via Filmfreeway. Please make sure to have online screener available and include as many information as possible.
Online screener with secured password or high-res digital file are highly preferred, while WMWFF also accepts Two DVD screeners (in NTSC Format) by post / courier. Your entry will only be accepted if WMWFF receive complete entry form (including screeners) on time.
If your submission is successful, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which you can print for your records. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Selection Procedure, Authorization and Important Notice
The festival’s program committees select the films that will participate in all program sections. When a film is selected, the festival will notify the applicant by email no later than on June 30, 2018.
After selection, please email the following materials to: email@example.com
1. Completed dialogue lists in original language AND English
2. 3 different stills from the film (at least 300 dpi High Resolution)
3. A photo of the director (at least 300 dpi High Resolution)
4. Film reviews, if available
5. Trailer or clips of the film
6. Press kits if available
Once the films are selected, the festival has the right to:
1. Use a maximum of 5% of video from the film for festival trailer, publicity and online purposes.
2. Use the trailer for publicity and online purposes.
3. Use publicity material to promote the festival and our program line-up.
4. Reserve the right to keep all the screeners and / or high res video files of the selected films in festival archive for non-circulating use.
5. Produce and keep Chinese subtitled screening copies in festival archive for non-circulating use, excluding any loan or public usage. Any kind of public presentation is strictly prohibited.
6.Program the film free of charge for Press Screening and Educational Programs (Optional).
1. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to secure clearance from the copyright holders of any copyrighted materials included within the submitted film. WMWFF will not be held responsible for the unauthorized inclusion of any copyrighted materials within or relating to the submitted film.
2. If the films are selected, all of the requested materials as above mentioned should be provided as soon as possible in order to assist the compilation of the Festival Catalogue. Please also note that all the submitted materials will not be returned.
3. WMWFF won’t cover any shipping costs during the submission stage. For films selected for our festival, we will cover the print’s shipping costs (custom tax included) to and from the original print source only. Please note that WMWFF will NOT be responsible for any shipping costs (custom tax included) for the next destination.
4.The selected films will be screened 1~3 times in their original versions during the 25th Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan. Please be noted that WMWFF will NOT provide screening fees for submitted films.
Address and Contact Information
Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan
3F, No.16, Lane 10, Singcheng St.
Datong District, Taipei City 10353
Questions concerning regulations and/or entry forms should be directed to Huei-yin Chen (firstname.lastname@example.org)