call: Curator-in-Residence 2022-2023 – Kunstraum New York
Deadline: 15 March 2022
Call for entries
Open Call for Curator-in-Residence 2022-2023
OPEN CALL FOR CURATOR-IN-RESIDENCE 2022-2023 | CIR PROGRAM
Application Deadline: Mar 15, 2022 | Notifications: Mar 31, 22 | Interviews Apr 2022
The CIR residency will start on April 22, 2022.
Kunstraum is a community for artists by artists, aiming to redefine the way artists and curators collaborate. For the Curator-in-Residence 2022-23 we seek a self-starter with an innovative and ambitious mind who thrives from creative freedom, will assume a leadership role, and has an interest in working within an established artist-run gallery. The CIR’s mission is to bring a unique curatorial vision to the program – designed to spotlight their curatorial practice within New York’s art world by facilitating engaging exhibitions and events.
The CIR is responsible for directing the gallery programming at Kunstraum for 10 months. During the residency, they will have the opportunity to present their position through two curated exhibitions – Kunstraum’s annual members’ show, followed by an independent exhibition of their own. In addition, the CIR will lend their support to two guest curator projects with the help of Kunstraum’s team. Kunstraum will provide $5000 in exhibition funding for the CIR’s independent exhibition show. The CIR is expected to tap pre-existing relationships to press, foundations, art fairs, curators, and collectors to provide additional support and resources to the independent show. The Kunstaum annual members’ show will be at Kunstraum’s gallery space in Brooklyn. It is hoped that the CIR’s independent show could be located at a venue in Manhattan, and that the CIR will devote energy and resources to locating a venue for the show.
Responsibilities of the CIR:
· Curate one independent exhibition and KR’s annual members’ show
· Supervise the production of 2 exhibitions by guest curators
· Organize one event per show as a walkthrough, interview, panel
· Manage openings from set-up to curatorial tours and sales
· Facilitate studio visits and communal events
· Participate in the jury process for Kunstraum’s open calls
· With the support of Kunstraum’s team, work on newsletter, press, social media, installation/de-installation, member onboarding, community events, art sales, invite visiting arts professionals
· Experience in curating and producing exhibitions and public programs
· Knowledge of art history and contemporary art topics
· Experience writing, and proofreading copy for art audiences
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· Hands-on organizer, meet deadlines, oversee with foresight
· Excellent communication, follow-up skills and attention to detail
· Ability to lift and handle artwork
· Self-driven, highly organized, smart time and resource management
· Must have work authorization in the United States by Apr 22, 2022
· Ability to commit 16 hrs per week
· Responsible for your own housing, commute, and travel expenses
Compensation & Benefits:
· Monthly stipend of $1000
· Commissions on art sales
· 24/7 access to the space
· Contact information (first and last name, email, address, telephone)
· Work samples (curatorial website or portfolio of 10 pages)
· Professional resume or CV
· Curatorial Statement (200 words): What is your vision for 10 months as the CIR of Kunstraum? How do you plan to engage with our community and audiences? What issues you are seeking to address through your practice?
· Exhibition Proposal (250-500 words): Describe one specific project with 3-6 artists, ready to be shown or a curatorial project idea. Specify the stage of the project. Do you have a partnering venue in Manhattan in mind or confirmed? Include images, links to artists’ websites, and an LOI of the venue (optional).
· Writing sample, one published article or another writing sample
· Name, email, and telephone number of two professional references
To Apply: Please submit all materials through the Google Form here. A selection of candidates will be contacted for interviews at the end of March 2022.
KUNSTRAUM is born out of a necessity to create community and foster collaboration between artists, architects, curators, designers, filmmakers, and writers. Our model features communal studio locations, networking, research opportunities, and discourse for creative production. Our identity is designed to offer and promote an international community, mobility, and visibility in the visual arts. Recent press coverage includes Huffington Post, Artnet News, Interview Magazine, Art F City, Artnet News, and Musée Magazine. With “Video Shop” at NADA New York, Kunstraum won the Artfair Goers Award for the best booth. Support for the CIR program is generously provided by Art in General. Please visit Kunstraum’s website and Instagram. For questions, please contact Marie, email@example.com.