call: Daegu Art Factory – residency in South Korea
Deadline: 19 December 2019
Call for entries
2020 Artist-in-Residence Program – Daegu Art Factory
Daegu Art Factory affiliated with the Daegu Foundation for Culture has the opportunity to invite artists to join its artist-in-residence program designed to support their creative activities.
A refurbished warehouse of a tobacco manufacturing plant, a token of Korea’s industrial heritage, Daegu Art Factory functions not only as an art space for fusion and convergence creation but also as a civic art platform.
The factory hopes more artists will be interested in and join this program to encourage diverse,
experimental creation and promote artistic activity.
Daegu Foundation for Culture
Deadline : at 17:00, 19 Decemver 2019
※ No later than 17:00 on December 19(Thu) KST(Korean Standard Time)
No entry fee –
Application form for download
1) Overseas artists
– No age limit.
– 3 artists (teams)
– All participants must have foreign nationality.
– Each participant must solve all matters pertaining to their stay in Korea including obtaining a visa.
1) March~May, 2020
2) June~August, 2020
3) September~November, 2020
2) Disciplines of Application
– Performance : Artists active in the fields of theater, dance, music, traditional art, performance, and
– Visual Art : Artists active in the fields of two-dimensional art, three-dimensional art, video, media
art, and others
– Interdisciplinary Art : Artists who are able to work for an exhibition or a performance of fusion and
– Planning and Directing : – Planners in the fields of visual art and performance
Visual art: Participants must have experience of curating more than three exhibitions in three years at
the time of this announcement.
Performance: Participants must have experience of directing more than two performances in three years at the time of this announcement
3) Notes for Overseas Resident Artists
– Overseas participants are finally selected only after reviewing documentation.
– Each participant must solve all legal affairs to stay in Korea including obtaining a visa. The selection may be canceled if any trouble arises.
– You may choose one of three periods (1-3) when applying.
– The right to choose the period is given based on the screening result.
– Air fare will be supported if finally selected. (Around 1.5 million won)
– Other support (grants) is the same with domestic artists.
4) Details of Support
– 300,000 won as creation support fund every month. (The amount is the same for both long-term and mid-term resident artists).
– Space support for creation. One studio for one artist (one team).
(Every studio is air-conditioned and heated and facilitated with a bathroom.)
A square studio measuring 62~82 m2willbeoffered.(height:3,500mm).
Each resident must bear utility expenses (electric charges and other public charges and tax) accrued during their period of residence.
Common facilities (common workshop, community room, cookroom, laundry room) are available for every resident.
Facilities (exhibit room, Suchang Hall, seminar room, conference room) can be used at no charge.
– Program and promotional support
Support for resident-related programs (exhibition, performance, joint project, critic program)
Support for publishing catalogs or printed materials.
Promotional support at home and abroad.
5) Obligation after Moving in
– All participants must abide by the rules of use stipulated by the Daegu Art Factory.
– All participants must use the studio over 15 days every month.
– All participants must implement residence-related programs.
– No companion animals or babies are allowed to stay.
– All participants are requested to submit their portfolio for archiving.
*** The operating agency’s guidelines must be followed in regard to running programs and supporting participants.
6) Announcement and Application Period
Notification period: November 27 (Wed.)~December 19 (Thur.), 2019 (23 days)
Application period: December 13 (Fri.)~December 19 (Thur.), 2019 (8 days)
Deadline of application: 17:00, December 19 (Thur.), 2019
(Any application which reaches the factory after the deadline will not be accepted.)
Application must reach us by e-mail. (email@example.com)
– You must confirm the arrival of e-mail after sending your application by phone. (Mail title: Application for the artist-in-residence program, name)
– Further inquiries: Daegu Art Factory +82-53-430-1225
7) Screening and Result Announcement
– Method of screening: Examination and determination by the Resident Artist Selection Judging
– Examination procedure: Document screening (first) – Interview (second) – Finalist announcement
– Document screening (Screening documents such as application and portfolio)
*** Overseas artists will be selected only after document screening.
– Announcement of the applicants to be interviewed: December 30 (Mon.), 2019 (Scheduled)
– Interview (Portfolio presentation and in-depth interview)
*** The time of a presentation should be within three minutes. (Except for time for interview)
– Interview: January 8 (Wed.), 2020 (Scheduled)
– Announcement of selection: January 13 (Mon.), 2020 (Scheduled)
*** Announcement will be made on the homepage of the Daegu Foundation for Culture and Daegu Art
*** The schedule mentioned above is subject to change.
8). Documents to Be Submitted
Documents to be submitted by all applicants
– An application
– A portfolio : There is no fixed form in creating the portfolio. But it should be within 10 pages.
It must be submitted in the file format (PDF or PPT).
* Form of portfolios to be submitted in each field
– The fields of performance, visual art, interdisciplinary art
The portfolio should be within 10 pages including major recent works done in the past three years.
The video should be within five minutes. (file format: *avi or linked)
– The fields of planning and direction
The ca The career including his or her activities in the relevant discipline should be presented in a
portfolio form. (free form, including documentary evidence)
Must be written in Hangul Word or MS Word.